Prep Time: 20 mins (excluding soaking time) and Cook Time: 15 mins
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Whole Skinned Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
- Rice - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed.
- Wash and soak Urad Dal for 5-6 hours.
- Wash and soak Quinoa, Rice and Fenugreek seeds together for 5-6 hours.
- Note: Rice* - You can use raw rice, par boiled rice, brown rice or traditional rice varieties.
- Grind Urad Dal adding Water (chilled water), little at a time to a smooth batter. I added approximately 1/2 cup of water for grinding. Do not add all the water at one go. Add little at a time. Do not operate the mixer grinder at a stretch. Once it is ground to a smooth paste, use the whip mode/whipper button and grind it for a few more minutes to get fluffy batter. Remove the batter into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Grind Quinoa, Rice and Fenugreek to a slightly coarse paste (next stage to rava consistency) adding Water little at a time. Grind it in two batches. Remove the batter into a bowl.
- Mix both the batter together and add salt needed. Taste a little batter to check for salt. The consistency of the batter should not be too thick or too thin. It should be similar to our regular idly batter.
- Leave it overnight or for 6 hours to ferment.
- Once the batter has fermented, you can make idly’s from the batter.